Saturday, June 20, 2009

SA bits 24 - Bruma Crafts Market

If you recall my earlier posts, there is a crafts market about 20 minutes drive away from where I stay. It's also close to "Chinatown" where we had lunch today, so we also made a quick visit to the market.


Statues carved out of stone and wood.

All sorts of animals, but mainly the Big 5 in South Africa (Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Rhino & Buffalo).

Assorted decorations made of low grade gemstone which looks like jade. Comes in designs such as plates & bowls, coasters, ash trays, jewel box etc.

Ostrich egg decorations. They are normally painted with African cultural elements such as images of natives and tribesmen & game animals.

Wooden carvings of tribesmen.

Tribal masks.

This is the biggest store within the complex. You can find almost any crafts in here. This was also where I bought my djembe (african hand drum) 2 years ago.

This is the best Big 5 carving I've seen so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment